Sunday, January 24, 2010

My book list

I was a bookish child. At the age of ten, I started keeping a list of the books I read, and I have continued to do so ever since. The list includes everything: children's books, textbooks, serious fiction, biographies, political and other nonfiction titles, mysteries, "beach reads," and all. These many years later, I see that I have read an average of a hundred books a year. Books, clearly, play a huge role in my life.

The list is often useful for reminding myself of a forgotten title or author. Perusing the list elicits many memories, and provides a picture of my evolving interests and passions over the years. The list is, in a sense, a compact personal history.

5 comments:

  1. Steph, I am thrilled that you are starting this blog! You are the most well-read reader of fiction I know. You read so widely and deeply, and your love of reading is such a part of you. I always love getting a recommendation from you, of a good book or an interesting author. Not only are you a great resource, you are a fine writer and great conversationalist--witty, insightful and fun. Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps not that you don't also read non-fiction!:-) It's just that literature is what I think of when I think of your great love of reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Mary, for those kind words of support!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on the launch of your blog! Can't wait to start delving in to the list and reading your commentary.

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Meter