Monday, January 25, 2010

On Jane Austen

My favorite author is Jane Austen. Not very original, I know; I realize I am one among many, many devoted Austen readers; I am glad that her work continues to flourish and to be loved by so many.

I have read the six finished novels at least 7-10 times each; every time I read them, I notice something new. I have also read the unfinished novels, the juvenalia, some letters and other scraps of her writing, and books about her life and work. I even read the novels by other writers in which they imagine sequels or prequels, or imagine Austen's stories from the perspectives of minor characters in the novels; these are generally only passably well written, but are fun to read. (However, I will not go so far as to read any titles with the words vampire or zombie in them!). I enjoy the various film and television versions as well. (Last night I watched the first of a PBS three-part version of Emma; although I didn't like some of the casting, including that of Emma's part, I couldn't help but sink into and thoroughly enjoy the story.)

What is it about Austen's work that draws me back to it again and again? I can't contribute much that hasn't been said by a host of others, both critics and lay readers, but I will try to add a few words. Her writing is so beautiful, so precise, so "right" in every way, that it is almost a miracle. What always strikes me is her deep and exact knowledge of human nature, motivation, and behavior; her perceptiveness is unparalleled. In particular, she understands and gently (and sometimes not so gently) pokes fun at human foibles, self-deceptions, and prejudices; I often laugh out loud with recognition. She also sheds much light on the situation of women at that time (and to some extent, still). I am also drawn to her portrayals of sisterhood and friendship. These are just a few of the reasons I keep reading and re-reading Austen. Finally, reading her is always a joyous experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Meter