Sunday, March 7, 2010

On NOT Reading "Wolf Hall"

I've decided NOT to read the novel "Wolf Hall" (Henry Holt, 2009), by Hilary Mantel. Yes, it is about an important and interesting topic (the time of, and interactions among, Henry VIII, Thomas Cromwell, Thomas More, and Anne Boleyn). Yes, it is by an esteemed, award-winning author. Yes, it has been well-reviewed. Yes, it is one of the "big" and important books of the past year. And yes, it is a bestseller (the latter not necessarily a point in its favor!). I put it on my request list at the library. But when I got the message that it was ready for me to pick up, a curious unwillingness came over me. "Do I really have to read this?" I asked myself. And soon found myself -- with a sense of relief -- giving myself permission not to read it. I hate to admit it, but it was partly because the novel was so dauntingly long (560 pages). But that doesn't stop me when I really want to read a book. Maybe it was because I don't generally read a lot of historical fiction. Or maybe because this is a topic I have often read about before. In any case, the commitment was too much for what I anticipated the rewards to be. I am sure it is a wonderful novel, and I do not want to discourage others from reading it...not at all. But it won't be on the pile on my bedside table.

4 comments:

  1. On a related note, what about the idea of not finishing a book one has started? For some reason I almost never just stop a book I have started. I think it is because I know that often one has to read quite a bit to "get into" a book. But unless it is just horribly written, once I start a book I almost always keep slogging away. Invariably this becomes a really slow process, as each time I pick it up I start to get sleepy....and so I put it down...then pick it up again the next day... By the time I'm done it's like I've given up sometimes weeks of my life hanging out with someone I don't even like!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great topic! I used to feel I had to finish a book I had started, but a few years ago I gave myself permission not to finish if I just wasn't enjoying it. Very liberating! In a way, it allows me to try "iffy" books, books I just am not sure if I will like, because I have the "out" of stopping if I don't like them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read Wolf Hall and I thought the first third very good, the second third kind of slow, the last third very good. Half way through the book, I almost stopped because I was bored--but yes, I also almost never stop once I begin a book. (BTW, the same is true with movies--I almost never walk out on a movie). But I did begin to skim the slow parts.

    Maybe skimming is the secret of life?

    ReplyDelete
  4. confession: I often skim veeerrrrryyy long descriptions of scenery. Even really beautifully written descriptions..

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Meter