Thursday, August 5, 2010

A Love letter to Newspapers

As we all know, newspapers are an endangered species in this era of the Internet. Here I won’t go into the many important reasons that Internet news cannot and should not replace print journalism (but I do note that much of the news on the Internet is taken directly from in-print newspapers; who else does investigations and reporting in depth?). Supplement, yes; replace, no. Here I just want to write a little love letter to newspapers. I have read and enjoyed newspapers since I was a child; I read them daily, and feel deprived and twitchy without them. When I lived in India as a child, we took an English language newspaper called, if I remember rightly, the Madras Mail. When my family moved to Michigan, we read the Detroit Free Press, and I continued reading it for all the years I lived in Michigan, and even occasionally in the years after I left; I greeted it as an old friend when I went back during summer weeks at my parents’ lakeside cottage or visits to my friend in Ann Arbor. When I moved to San Francisco, I started reading the San Francisco Chronicle, and have read it ever since. The Chronicle is now rather sadly thin and diminished, but I am very fond of it, and can’t do without it. I do read The New York Times occasionally, and subscribe to its Book Review, and I read other newspapers when I travel, but my day in, day out newspaper is the Chronicle, and I am very loyal to it. What is better than reading the morning paper with one’s morning coffee? My husband and I amicably divide the sections, and then trade. The bulkier Sunday paper with its lovely supplements (magazines, book review, travel and food sections, comics, etc.) is a special pleasure. It’s a great way to ease into the new day. I love the physical aspect of holding the paper in my hands; I even love the smell of newsprint, although in recent years I have developed a slight allergy to the smell, just as my late father did; however, a few sneezes can't stop me from reading newspapers! I hope that there are enough of us that feel so passionate about, and loyal to, print newspapers that they will survive and prosper.

2 comments:

  1. I wish the Chronicle was delivered (for a reasonable cost)in Lodi. I finally cancelled both our local papers. They are dismal. It's as bad as TV news. Too much space is given over to the depraved, the sad and the criminal. If I was to believe the humanity around me was accurately reflected in our local newspapers, I'd pack my bags and leave right quick. Clearly people are nasty and this is a very dangerous place to live. Just too depressing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know there are problems with newspapers. But I feel I need to know at least in general what's going on; I supplement the newspapers with progressive magazines (The Progressive, The Nation, Ms., etc.) and other news sources. And then there are the "fun" parts of the newspaper such as the datebook, columns, restaurant and movie reviews, etc.

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Meter