Saturday, March 12, 2011

The Power of Poetry

The Palestinian-American poet/novelist/essayist/anthologist Naomi Shihab Nye, who has done so much to broaden and diversify the world of America poetry, beautifully describes the power of poetry as follows (Thanks to The Writer's Almanac, 3/12/11, for this quotation):

"To me the world of poetry is a house with thousands of glittering windows. Our words and images, land to land, era to era, shed light on one another. Our words dissolve the shadows we imagine fall between."

2 comments:

  1. Stephanie, I love Naomi Shihab Nye and her poetry and her whole approach to life. Did you see her at TESOL...it must have been San Antonio...is that where she lives? "You are my heroes," she said, meaning us, the teachers, and later when I got her to sign one of my books I told her she was my hero, and that I had watched her episode with Bill Moyers about a hundred times that contains that wonderful poem that begins, "You can't order a poem like you order a pizza."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Martha, great to hear from you about Nye! No, I missed her at TESOL....I wish I HAD seen/heard her!

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Meter