Thursday, March 4, 2010

The New Yorker and I

What would we do without the New Yorker? When my copy arrives every week, with its beautiful cover, I know I have a treat in store. The magazine is a source of truly good prose on so many topics: politics, art, current events, and much more. Often its compelling prose draws me into reading about a topic I didn't even know I was interested in until I began the article. One of the magazine's great contributions is that it has always published, and still publishes, fiction, at a time when many other mainstream magazines have stopped doing so. I know that some feel that the stories published by the New Yorker are too much alike, all in "the New Yorker style." I disagree, and am most grateful for the magazine.

I can't resist adding a New Yorker-related personal note here. A photograph of my daughter and me appeared in the May 17, 1999 issue. Why was that, you may well ask! It came about because my friend B, a professional, gifted, and well-exhibited photographer who specializes in photographing people in their homes, had in 1995 taken a posed picture of my young daughter doing a dance pose on our dining room table, with me sitting nearby, my face obscured by the newspaper I was reading. This photograph was in her portfolio and was chosen by the New Yorker to accompany a short story titled "How Was It, Really?" by the late great John Updike. I was happy for B. that her photograph was published in such a venue; I must say I was also tickled that my daughter and I had even this small connection with a writer whose work has given me much pleasure over the years.

3 comments:

  1. I love that photo!
    I also love the covers of the New Yorker. I remember in college babysitting for some people who had wallpapered one of their bathrooms in New Yorker covers--I thought that was tres, tres cool.
    I have to say that my favorite thing about the New Yorker is still the cartoons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you remember our friend Donna covered her dorm room door with New Yorker covers? I love New Yorker cartoons too...

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's funny, I don't remember that at all, but I can imagine it. Here is to the inimitable Donna, who had plenty of literary and artistic talent of her own.

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Meter