Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Pronunciation Blues

I suffer from what I suspect is a common malady among avid readers: the vocabulary I know in print is much larger than the vocabulary I regularly hear or speak. Thus when I do use a word that I have only seen in print, I don’t always know how to pronounce it, and on some occasions, have embarrassed myself by mispronouncing it. Sometimes the word originates in a non-English language, and sometimes it is just not a widely spoken word. Unfortunately, in English, unlike in some other languages such as Spanish, spelling doesn’t give a clear and logical indication of pronunciation. I have recently discovered pronunciation guides online, so if I know ahead of time that I want to use a word, perhaps in a conference paper, I can look it up and listen to the correct pronunciation. But if the word occurs to me spontaneously in conversation, and I am unsure of the pronunciation, I have two strategies, depending on my audience. Most often I just think of a different word to substitute. But if I am with friends, I may say “XXXX” (my guess at how the word is pronounced) and then say airily “or however that word is pronounced.”

2 comments:

  1. That's funny! As it happens, I was just wondering about a pronunciation myself. I grew up hearing and saying "Jane Eyre" pronounced "Jane Air." But it certainly looks like it should be pronounced "Jane Ire." How do most people pronounce it? This reminds me of the first time I heard someone (an art history teacher) say "Van Gock" instead of the "Van Go" I'd always heard. Which in turn reminds me of the movie "Manhattan," where the Woody Allen character rolls his eyes at Diane Keaton's careful "Van Gochhhhh"! Which also brings up the question of when to use the real foreign pronunciation of a word when speaking English. It might sound pretentious, for instance, to pronounce Paris "Paree" when speaking English. So many things to consider before opening one's mouth to speak!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary, I have had that question too. But it seems that most, including the movie I just posted about, pronounce it "Jane Air." I love your other examples!

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Meter